About the Society

 

logo

 

The Henry Lawson Memorial & Literary Society Inc. was founded by Steve Ford JP (1868-1946) in 1923 when a gathering took place at Footscray Hill Park.

Steve Ford was born at Buangor, an agricultural and pastoral district near Ararat in Western Victoria. Following his death in 1946, Ford’s ashes were scattered under the Henry Lawson Tree at Footscray Hill Park.

From 1904, Steve Ford was Secretary of the Zeehan branch of the Australian Natives’ Association in Tasmania.

Long standing are the links between the Henry Lawson Memorial & Literary Society Inc. and the Australian Natives’ Association, (now Australian Unity).

The two organisations share a common interest in the support of Australian literature. From 1992 to 2016, Australian Unity have generously supported the production of the Society’s magazine, The Lawsonian.

 

Lawsonian_cover

 

The Lawsonian is published four times a year, along with the Society’s monthly newsletter, Henry Lives.

Together they cover the previous month’s ordinary meeting news as well as poems read by the members, information about literary, artistic, historical activities and other articles of interest. Member’s own original poetry and verse are featured.